My Top Ten Revisited

"The world is a book, and those who do
not travel read only a page"



The second post of this blog was about the top ten things I want to do while in Australia. I want to revisit those ten things and see what I did and didn't do. 



10) Skydivingx
Having already done this while in Orlando, I put this last on my list. While I thought it would have been unreal to jump out of a plane over the beautiful crystal blue water in Australia, I simply couldn't afford it. It cost about $300 to skydive which is double what I paid in Orlando.

9) Rugby Match
Not only did I go to a Rugby game but I went to two, in two different cities. We saw a Rabbitohs game in Sydney and a Rebels game in Melbourne. They have different styles of rugby and these were two different styles which was nice to see. The game in Melbourne was actually the very first game of their new team, which meant the atmosphere was a lot better than the game in Sydney.

8) Feed a Kangaroo/Pet a Koala
I don't think anyone could come to Australia, the only place to find these animals in their natural habitat and not feed them. I didn't care too much for the Koala's because they just sat there and were pretty boring. The Kangaroos on the other hand may be my favorite animal now simply because they are unlike any animal. If I could have brought anything back from Australia it would be a pet Kangaroo. 

7) Hang Glidingx
This was something that I have never done in my life. I was hoping to get the chance to do it while in Australia or New Zealand but it just never worked out. Still want to do this in the near future. This is toward the top of my bucket list right now.

6) Ride a Camel & Climb Uluru
Having never ridden a camel I didn't know what to expect, but it was my favorite thing I did in the Outback. They got a little tiring to ride toward the end of my hour but it was totally worth it and I recommend to anyone that gets a chance to do it. The climb of Uluru was more exhausting than I was expecting. I can definitely see why there have been 30 deaths climbing the rock. I manned up and did it though and was more than happy I did. 

5) Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb
Rated by Lonely Planet travel as one of the top ten most exhilarating things to do in the world. I don't know that I agree with that as I really didn't get a "rush" while I was climbing the bridge. I think jumping out of a plane or off a bridge is more exhilarating. However it was my favorite thing I did in Sydney and was the best thing I have ever done for my birthday. The number one thing I would recommend to people that go to Sydney. If you leave without doing the bridge climb then you made a big mistake.

4) Bungy Jump
I was fortunate enough to bungy at the very first commercial bungy facility in Queenstown, New Zealand. This was a crazy rush, that is comparable to nothing. There is nothing like free falling then when you feel you may hit the ground you get pulled up. These kinds of things make me feel so alive, and I can't wait for the next chance I get to jump.

3) Learn to Surf
Surf camp was one of my favorite trips, not just for the surfing but because of the lifestyle. While surfing was harder than I had thought, I had a great time with everyone. I did manage to get up a few times and its a great feeling to ride that wave. I wish I would have got the chance to become better but I never bothered to rent a board in Sydney.

2) Swim with Whale Sharksx
This was a very unlikely thing for me to do. There is only a few places in the world where you can do this and Australia is one of them. However, it is a discrete location that you have to take a private plane to. Private planes were not in my budget. My last two weeks I talked to a few people that did this and had nothing but great reviews. If I could do anything in the world this would be it.

1) Scuba Dive the Great Barrier Reef
When you have had 13 ear surgeries as a child, they usually recommend you don't scuba dive. I was hoping to get certified while I was there but when I found out that if you have had ear problems you really are a risk to injury yourself badly, I decided it wasn't worth it. So I went snorkeling, which at the Great Barrier Reef they say is better anyway because the coral gets more sunlight in the shallow water. Its one of the 7 natural wonders of the world for a reason. Another must do if visiting Australia.


I think 7 out of 10 is a pretty good accomplishment. I had some great experiences while in Australia and it is such an adventurous country offering numerous crazy things to do. So I may not have done 3 but I definitely did many other things that were just as good if not better. 

Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment