Happy Australia Day!

"Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make 
everyday a holiday and celebrate just living!"


Wow,



It has been awhile since I have posted and a lot has gone on during that time. Last week was my first week of class and work. My internship placement is doing marketing for a company called golf link. The two classes I am taking are exploring the global city of Sydney and International Business. In the future weeks I will go into more detail about whats going on with my "career" but for now I want to continue with the "tourism" side of my life right now.



Wednesday was Australia Day. January 26 is the official national day of Australia. Australia Day commemorates the arrival of the first fleet at Sydney Cove in 1778 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of New Holland. Its very similar to our 4th of July.



Having Wednesday off of class and work during my first week was so nice. The day started out really gloomy and most of my friends were going to the beach to celebrate. My roommates and I decided the beach would be crowded and we can go there any other day and we would rather go to Circular Quay to see what was going on by the harbour. 


We ended up taking a bus to North Sydney and then a ferry back to the other side of Sydney as this was the fastest way. Upon arriving back in South Sydney we realized we did not have any australian gear and needed to "gear up." The first thing that caught my eye was a green safari hat which I ultimately purchased. The roommates then decided to join me and get crazy hats. We received some great looks!



As we reached the harbour we found some street performers doing crazy things. We saw the tail end of a man who was up on ladder juggling a knife, torch, and a pin. I can juggle but can't imagine how you even learn how to do something like this:


The next performer came on and it was a girl so we decided she couldn't be all that good so we started to leave. Sure enough she called us out in front of the whole crowd asking us to say. Since she called us out we were obligated to stay and we were glad. She was even more amazing than the juggler. She was a human contortionist which was unbelievable. She warmed up with a few small stunts and then her final was fitting herself into this box:




After this we went back to the apartment for a shower, dinner, and a quick rest. Our plan for the evening was to go back downtown to see the firework show. Upon arriving downtown we realized that the firework show was a ways down the road and we would not be able to see it. We had assumed darling harbour was the same as Circular Quay because of all the things with harbour in their name such as the "harbour bridge" which we stared at for an hour waiting for fireworks.



The city is even more beautiful at night as you can tell with these pictures. Check back in a day or two as I will post about this weekends surfing trip. 


Fun Fact: Burger Kings in Australia are called Hungry Jacks


Cheers!




Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment